Potomac News Online | Madaris’ boyfriend arrested in death

A Woodbridge woman found dead in a Stafford County field on Sunday was beaten to death by her boyfriend after a dispute outside a sports bar, according to Stafford County Sheriff Charles Jett.

Lisa Renee Madaris, 35, of 1413 Florida Ave. in Woodbridge, died of “blunt trauma to the head,” according to a Richmond medical examiner’s office autopsy performed Monday.

Madaris is the mother of two and a graduate of Potomac High School in Dumfries.

 Madaris’ boyfriend, 35-year-old John Joseph Rogers, was  arrested  Thursday evening at his 8903 Gutman Court residence in Springfield by the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office, assisted by the Northern Virginia Fugitive Task Force.

Authorities charged Rogers with first-degree murder and abduction, according to Jett, who said that Rogers also goes by the name Jose.

According to witnesses, Rogers left Brittany’s Sports Bar and Restaurant in Lake Ridge with Madaris at about 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, said Jett. Rogers threatened Madaris and physically assaulted her, said one witness, adding that Rogers then forced Madaris into the back seat of her car and drove away with her. He left his car at the bar.

The next morning, a construction worker reported the burned remains of a vehicle on Coral Reef Court in the Port of Aquia subdivision in North Stafford.

Authorities say the arson took place sometime between late Wednesday night and early Thursday morning in the subdivision, which is under construction nearly three miles south of the site where Madaris was found Sunday.

A man walking his dog Sunday discovered a body in a field in the 700 block of Telegraph Road in North Stafford. Detectives identified the victim as Madaris an hour-and-a-half after the discovery.

“Our sympathy goes out to her family,” said Jett at a press conference Friday. “Though it will not lessen the pain of her loss, her family can rest a little easier knowing this killer is behind bars.”

Jett said the investigation determined that Rogers and Madaris had been in a relationship for about a year-and-a-half. In the past few months the relationship became less intense, and they saw each other less often, said Jett.

Detectives learned that there was a history of physical abuse throughout Madaris’ and Rogers’ relationship, Jett said.

Through investigation and technology, detectives were able to determine that Madaris had been in the vicinity of the arson in Stafford. Detectives also learned that Rogers is familiar with the area in Stafford where Madaris’ body was found.

“This case still remains a very active investigation that has involved the help of the Prince William County Police, Fairfax County Police, the United States Marshal’s Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms,” said Jett.

Following the arrest, Rogers was taken before the magistrate in Fairfax and was then turned over to Stafford detectives. He is being held without bond at Rappahannock Regional Jail.

Detectives also searched Rogers’ residence and two vehicles, which were seized for examination, according to the sheriff’s office.

Sheriff’s office detectives believe there are more individuals with pertinent information to the case, and have urged them to come forward by calling the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office at (540) 658-4400 or Stafford Crime Solvers at (540) 658-2020.

Similar Posts