Burn victim flown to hospital

A 47-year-old woman suffered second- and third-degree burns over 90 percent of her body Thursday around 1:30 p.m., and was listed in critical condition at the Washington Hospital Center’s burn unit Thursday night following a fire in the bedroom of her 14591 Lightner Road home near Haymarket.

Only the woman’s last name, Mires, was available Thursday evening.

Authorities do not yet know how the blaze began.

The fire was confined to the bedroom of the Mires’ brick home, said Battalion Chief C. Hadden Culp, Fire and Rescue spokesman. It caused $45,000 worth of damage to the home, including damage induced by smoke, Culp said.

No one else was injured.

Investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office and detectives from the Prince William Police Department were at the scene and continue to investigate.

The woman’s son, whose name and age were not available, was home when the fire started and called 911.

Her husband stood outside with the son while firefighters worked their way into the house after extinguishing the blaze.

She was flown to the burn unit by Medstar helicopter.

Similar Posts