Police briefs for Saturday, June 8, 2002

Storage units vandalized, appliances and tools stolen from two businesses

Thieves broke into self-storage units in two separate businesses between Sunday and Tuesday, with $900 worth of property stolen from one of the units, Prince William County police said Friday.

Someone took a tool set, a vacuum cleaner and a DVD player from the U-Haul Self Storage facility at 7200 New Market Court in the Manassas area sometime Monday or Tuesday.

The burglars busted the unit’s locks and pried the door open, police said.

This incident followed similar break-ins of two units at Atlantic Self Storage at 3500 Commission Court in Woodbridge on Sunday or Monday, police said.

Four of the storage spaces had locks and door frames bent, but the thieves were only able to get into two of them.

There was nothing reported missing, police said.

Lake Ridge residents return home after propane fire

The propane fire that caused the evacuation of 30 homes in Lake Ridge on Thursday afternoon burned all of the fuel and went out Friday morning, said Battalion Chief C. Hadden Culp, a spokesman for Prince William County Fire and Rescue.

“The fire is extinguished and the tank is empty,” Culp said Friday morning. “All the occupants who were evacuated were permitted to return to their dwelling.”

A Ferrellgas Inc. serviceman had filled a swimming pool tank at 3092 Woods Cove Lane with propane and was restarting the pilot lights when the fire began early Thursday afternoon, fire officials said. The tank was leaking, which led to the blaze that singed the man’s face.

No one else was injured, Culp said.

— Adam H. Beasley

Similar Posts